Profile: Al-Nujaba Satellite Television
by Hamdi Malik
Jul 22, 2021
Also available in
About the Authors
Part of a series: Militia Spotlight: Profiles
or see Part 1: How to Use Militia Spotlight: Profiles
A U.S.-sanctioned "resistance" channel owned and operated by U.S.-designated terrorist movement Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba.
Name: Qanat al-Nujaba al-Fadhaeyya (al-Nujaba Satellite TV channel)
Type of movement: Social or media organization associated with an armed group, undertaking nonkinetic information operations (media activities and propaganda). Supporting domestic counter-U.S. operations, domestic counter-political/social moderate operations, and foreign counter-Saudi operations
History and objectives:
- Al-Nujaba TV was launched in 2013 as a media wing for the Iraqi militia group Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba (HaN), shortly after the group was formed by Akram Kaabi.
- The well-funded station offers political, cultural, and religious programs that promote Iran's self-styled "axis of resistance" and focus on muqawama themes.
- It broadcasts from Baghdad and has correspondents in most Iraqi provinces. It also has an office and studio in Tehran.
- In March 2019, the U.S. State Department listed the station and HaN as Specially Designated Global Terrorist entities under Executive Order 13224.
- Amir al-Quraishi is the general manager of al-Nujaba TV.
Chain of command:
- Controlled by Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba.
- Part of al-Muaweniyah al-Elamiyah lil Muqawama al-Islamiyah–Harakat al-Nujaba (The HaN Directorate of Media).
- Part of Muassasat al-Nujuba lil Elam wa al-Bahth al-Fadhaiyah (Al-Nujaba Media and Satellite Broadcasting Organization, within the HaN Directorate of Media).
- Member of the Islamic Radio and Television Union.
- Member of the Iraqi Radio and Television Union.
- Al-Nujaba Radio, which also has a website with a .com domain.
- Yasamin Studio (a media production and distribution company that makes video clips for al-Nujaba TV).
- Al-Nujaba TV’s webpage domain was seized by the United States in November 2020, but the station linked its website to a new .tv domain after altering its spelling.
- Al-Nujaba TV has a YouTube channel, Telegram channel, and Twitter account.