Fikra Forum provides a platform for regional voices from the Middle East and North Africa to give on-the-ground perspectives, providing context to important issues and engaging with Washington policy makers. As such, we seek to cover topics focusing on a broad range of political, economic, and social challenges facing the region and encourage a range and diversity of opinions. We are particularly interested in covering underreported issues and areas of interest beyond the daily news cycle.
Please note that while Fikra Forum is an initiative of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, publication of an article on Fikra Forum is not indicative of a broader relationship with the Institute. Moreover, Fikra Forum articles are recognized and presented as the personal views of the individual authors, and are not necessarily endorsed by the Institute, its staff, Board of Directors, or Board of Advisors.
In considering an article for publication, our editorial team looks for thoughtful analysis and argument that can provide a new perspective or detailed insight into a particular challenge. Successful Fikra submissions are 800-1800 words in length and provide focused nuance on a single issue with which the author has a deep level of familiarity. Our editorial board tends to reject articles that give broad overviews of regional issues.
If you would like to submit a piece for consideration, please send the full text of the piece in a word document here, along with a short biography or resume and any social media accounts you would like included in the post. Please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Submissions for publication must be original and previously unpublished.
- Please avoid footnotes; direct quotes should be hyperlinked and referenced in-text where necessary.
- As a bilingual publication, we accept submissions in either Arabic or English. Please write in whichever language you feel more confident; the language of the submission does not in any way impact our consideration of the piece. If the piece is published, we will provide a full translation and publish both English and Arabic versions of the article on our site.
- If a submission is accepted for publication, the author will be informed within five business days. However, final publication of an article is conditional on participation in the editorial process, which can include substantive editing and adherence to publication timelines.
- Please note that we cannot offer honorariums or payments for accepted articles.